I am thrilled to announce the launch of my brand new website designed by the fabulous Biondo Studio!
Take a look around and let me know what you think. I’d love to hear from you especially since it’s been a YEAR since I’ve last blogged and had contact with any of you guys…well except for Facebook, Twitter, Instagram…and, well, whatever. Anyway. Now that I’m almost done with my MFA program, my blogging hiatus is slowly coming to an end. Are you excited? I am!
So now that I’m back, I have to catch you all up on what happened in 2013. Here are my top 10 favorite moments from last year:
1. I BOUGHT A HOUSE. Yes, that deserved all caps because it is one of the biggest things I’ve ever done. I am now a permanent resident of New Jersey, and I couldn’t be happier.
2. I met Sheryl Sandberg of Facebook fame. She wrote this inspiring and thought-provoking book called ‘Lean In.’ I was reading it as I passed her in Penn Station. I literally had to backtrack and take a second look before I realized who it was. She really is a force to be reckoned with.
3. My Dad turned 60 and we took a cruise to nowhere. It was so much fun. We left on Friday from New York Harbor and got off the cruise ship on Saturday afternoon. I haven’t been on a ship in so long so it felt good. Like a mini-vacation.
4. I played tourist in Washington, D.C. Every time I go to D.C. it’s either for a conference or a work meeting. This year, me and a friend booked a fancy room in the Hyatt and drove down for a three day adventure in our nation’s capital. We took a red bus tour (the double decker buses), and we ate at these awesome restaurants with loud D.C. themed decor.
5. I went to the Bronx Zoo. I have never been to the Bronx Zoo and it was such a blast. I definitely want to go again soon.
6. My friend Diane Sismour and I had FOUR writing retreats this year during which time I completed a novel and a 100 page MFA thesis paper. We partied in PA, in NJ twice, and in CT. We ate, brainstormed, and typed. This year involved so much positive time with Diane, how could she not be a part of my list?
7. I spent a weekend at my friend Caridad Pineiro’s beach house. We decided to do a power brainstorming and writing retreat. We had fantastic food (Caridad is an AMAZING cook), and I wrote 40 (yes, 40!) pages in my WIP. We walked on the beach and recharged our writing batteries.
8. I made it out to TriBeCa to see Nalini Singh speak with Smart Bitches, Trashy Books co-founderSarah Wendell. That was just so much fun.
9. I went to BEA. This year I controlled myself at Book Expo America when it came to picking up freebies, but I did snag some amazing arcs. That wasn’t even the highlight of BEA, though. The best part of the whole experience was seeing Veronica Roth and Rick Riordan speak about their audience and their writing process. #Priceless.
10. Christmas Eve Dinner was at my place this year and it was so awesome to have everyone over. I sorta screwed up dinner, but hopefully that didn’t turn too many people off and I can have everyone over again next year.
So there it is! My 2013 recap. I had so many other great moments in 2013 in addition to the ones listed above: my college roommate asked me to be a bridesmaid in her wedding, I went to a haunted hayride and a midnight corn maze Halloween event, I graduated with my MA in creative writing, I went to my first Lady Jane’s Salon, and I attended both the LSFW Create Something Magical Conference and the Princeton University Symposium on Popular Romance. 2013 was truly a great year.
Did anyone try something new or do something #priceless in 2013? Do you plan on topping those experiences in 2014? Do tell! In the meantime, have a very happy, healthy, and prosperous new year!