Nisha Sharma grew up immersed in Bollywood movies, eighties pop culture, and romance novels, so it comes as no surprise that her first YA, My So-Called Bollywood Life, features all three.
Nisha credits her father for her multiple graduate degrees, and her mother for her love of Shah Rukh Khan and Jane Austen. She lives in Pennsylvania with her cat Lizzie Bennett and her dog Nancey Drew. You can find her online at nisha-sharma.com or on Twitter and Instagram at @nishawrites.
More About Nisha
- Nisha is a first generation Indian American.
- She went to Catholic schools/Jesuit prep schools which can probably explain her hatred for plaid skirts.
- Nisha read Nancy Drew and Hardy Boy mysteries along with the Babysitter’s Club and had an obsession with old school WB shows. (Buffy, Felicity, Popular, Dawson’s Creek)
- She started reading romance novels in the eighth grade.
- Nisha went to this writer’s camp when she was sixteen and made the dramatic change to writing poetry instead of fiction.
- She switched back to her first love (fiction) when she entered college, and although she could’ve been a lot further along in her writing if she stuck with fiction, poetry helped her see things from a different perspective.
- She was pre-med for one year in college. Dissecting a fetal pig ended that career path quickly.
- She finished her first YA book by the time she entered law school in 2007. It’s still sitting under her bed somewhere.
- Her second YA is sitting next to it.
- In 2008 Nisha wrote her third YA book and voila! She got an agent!
- She got side tracked again with law school, graduation and bar exams.
- In the process, Nisha wrote and sold two adult romance novels and a few non-fiction articles.
- After graduating Hofstra Law, she started a day job in NYC and her MFA program at Wilkes University on a part time basis.
- The RWA National Conference was in town in 2011, so Nisha stopped by to visit friends and ran into Antonella Iannarino from David Black Literary and within 2 weeks, she signed!
- Nisha is an MA and MFA graduate of Wilkes University. Her MA Capstone sold to Crown with movie rights to Storefront Pics and Bend-it Films. Her MFA Thesis was about Mr. Darcy in Pride and Prejudice as the blueprint for the alpha hero archetype in contemporary romance novels.
- She teaches creative writing on the side, uses her J.D. during the day and writes whenever possible.
- If Nisha had a Pug, she would name it Pugsley.
- She does have a cat and has named it Lizzie Bennett (#LizzieBennetttheCat). Her dog is named Nancey Drew (#NanceyDrewtheDog).