Nisha Sharma grew up immersed in Bollywood movies, eighties pop culture, and romance novels, so it comes as no surprise that her first YA, My So-Called Bollywood Life, features all three.
Nisha credits her father for her multiple graduate degrees, and her mother for her love of Shah Rukh Khan and Jane Austen. She lives in New Jersey with her cat Lizzie Bennett and her dog Nancey Drew. You can find her online at nisha-sharma.com or on Twitter and Instagram at @nishawrites.
More About Nisha
- Nisha is a first generation Indian American.
- She went to Catholic schools/Jesuit prep schools which can probably explain her hatred for plaid skirts.
- Nisha read Nancy Drew and Hardy Boy mysteries along with the Babysitter’s Club and had an obsession with old school WB shows. (Buffy, Felicity, Popular, Dawson’s Creek)
- She started reading romance novels in the eighth grade.
- Nisha went to this writer’s camp when she was sixteen and made the dramatic change to writing poetry instead of fiction.
- She switched back to her first love (fiction) when she entered college, and although she could’ve been a lot further along in her writing if she stuck with fiction, poetry helped her see things from a different perspective.
- She was pre-med for one year in college. Dissecting a fetal pig ended that career path quickly.
- She received a J.D. from Hofstra School of Law, and her M.A. and M.F.A. from Wilkes University
- Her first YA My So-Called Bollywood Life has been optioned by Susan Cartsonis (Freaky Friday the Musical, Middle School is the Worst, The Duff, Aquamarine) and Gurinder Chadha (Bride and Prejudice, Bend it Like Beckham)
- She has a cat named Lizzie Bennett (#LizzieBennetttheCat) and a chihuahua named Nancey Drew (#NanceyDrewtheDog).