This weekend, I experienced a milestone birthday. At thirty my knees are starting to hurt if I sit too long, my hair is streaked with silver strands, and I have to put on 2 types of under-eye moisturizer in the morning: one for dark circles and one for crow’s feet. I imagined my life to be much different at thirty than it is, and sometimes that really wears on me.
Which is why I’m writing this post. It’s important I think, to look at what I have, what I’ve learned, and what I know to appreciate how much growth I’ve experienced as a person. I wanted to share this all with you so maybe you can appreciate what you have, what you’ve learned and what you know as well.
Also it’s my birthday and it’s my blog so I’ll write it if I want to. 🙂
- I have driven cross country with my sister in one weekend.
- I have visited Disney World more times than an adult should admit to.
- I have hiked on a glacier in Alaska with my father.
- I bought a house at 28.
- I studied my butt off and got a law degree, an M.A. and M.F.A. (and I’ll probably end up with a PhD too b/c I’m a nerd that loves school).
- My parents and siblings are still happy and healthy.
- I have been to India a few times and seen the Taj Mahal twice.
- I’ve visited the Bay of Fundi with two of my closest friends.
- My best friend and I have known each other since kindergarten and we still like each other.
- My writing is in the rare books collection of the NY Public Library (I spent a night there writing a collaborative novel with 499 other people).
- I have 3 tattoos (and will probably get 2 more).
- My mom is seriously the coolest parent ever and took me to get my nose pierced at 14.
- I’ve deep sea snorkeled in St. Martin.
- I’ve taken a literary tour of New Orleans and eaten the best jambalaya of my LIFE.
- I survived a broken heart.
- I planted a garden.
- I’ve played hooky and gone to the beach just because.
- I’ve watched a meteor shower.
- I’ve published two books and sold 2 more.
- I had brunch with Gurinder Chadha.
- I’ve gone speed dating and survived to tell the story.
- I’ve laughed so hard that I cried (and fell off the bed) and then laughed about it again in the morning with my best friends.
- I’ve been a bridesmaid six times and shared the happiest day ever with amazing women.
- I learned Kathak, a classical Indian dance form, for eleven years and performed in front of hundreds of people.
- I’ve stayed up all night on the phone with a guy.
- I learned how to bake. Sort of.
- I’ve rock climbed, mastered different crazy roller coasters, and never threw up.
- I was inches away from Ben Gibbard’s guitar at a Death Cab for Cutie concert.
- I spent Halloween in Salem!
- I’ve lost 70 pounds and have made peace with my weight struggle.
So at 30, my life is looking pretty good. I hope that the next 30+ years are filled with many more experiences with the ones I love the most.
I can’t wait to share my stories with you, both fictional and personal.
Thanks for reading!