I am a few days late, but it’s time for that year-end blog post where I bring up all of the fantastic things that happened over the course of 2014. This past year has been one of the most amazing, life changing times of my life. I’ve had so many crazy fantastic moments that I can’t list them all here. What I will do, is give the highlights reel.
1. January 2014. My beautiful baby cousin Lily was born. She is the youngest of my cousins at 28 years my junior. She’s so beautiful and full of spunk and life. I can’t wait to watch her grow and be a part of her experiences.
2. March 2014, Susan Cartsonis, Producer of ‘the Duff’, ‘Beastly’ and ‘Aquamarine’, in partnership with Gurinder Chadha, director, writer, producer of ‘Bend it Like Beckham’ and ‘Bride and Prejudice’ purchased the film rights to my young adult novel ‘My So-Called Bollywood Life.’ *dead*
3. April 2014, Crown Books for Young Readers, an imprint of Penguin Random House, made an offer for my young adult novel ‘My So-Called Bollywood Life’ and one additional YA title to be released in 2016. *equally dead*
4. April 2014, I finaled in the Simon and Schuster Student novelist contest for their new imprint Simon451 with my YA paranormal book ‘The Chosen Warrior.’ Although I didn’t win, the experience was great because I was in a funk for a while about my YA writing, and this was the boost of confidence I needed for sure.
6. May 2014, I started my new day job at a place in New Jersey, which meant that I could actually write more, and focus on my health (less travel time). So far, best job move ever.
7. June 2014, I graduated with my MFA degree in Creative Writing. #likeaboss
8. July 2014, I made a serious decision about my health and I started to work on my weight. It was so hard and painful and took a lot of adjustment, but since July 7, 2014, I’ve lost 65 pounds and I have no intention of stopping until I hit my fitness goal.
9. August 2014, my college roommate Jordan got married! She made a beautiful bride in Newport, Rhode Island. I was a bridesmaid and I had so much fun at her wedding. Here’s to years of happiness for her and her husband.
10. October 2014, I taught two workshops at the New Jersey Romance Writer’s conference, one of the largest regional conferences for romance in the country. I spent time with friends, with other writers, and was totally recharged. It was an amazing conference.
11. October 2014, I went to Salem, MA for Halloween and I got a reading from a psychic. I wasn’t looking to get a reading, but I was drawn to this woman, and the reading has so far come true. Weird, I know, but I’m a believer now.
12. November 2014, I participated in NaNoWriMo and we had an all-night write-in at a repurposed bank! It was so much fun. Nothing like writing with a bunch of your best buds to get the juices flowing!
So do you see what I mean when I say that 2014 was bad ass? Because it totally was. There were tons of off days, and bad times, but I think the overall good made things feel a hell of a lot better. I’m so glad so many of you were a part of it. Here’s to a fantastic 2015 filled with edits for ‘My So-Called Bollywood Life,’ writing new books, hopefully some international travel, and most importantly, time with the people I love the most in this world.
Happy reading, nerds and nerdettes.