As most of you know, I have a tendency to take too much on until I burn out. Hey, I’m a Taurus, what can you expect? 🙂 I decided to take a blogging hiatus for that reason. I had too much going on to keep up my stellar blog (if I do say so myself) at the same time. However, I wanted to come out of my blogging hiatus just for one post to share with you my 2012 highlights.
1. My friends Diane Sismour, Ginger Merante and I decided to start having our own mini writing retreats! In January, we had one of the best retreats ever. We all camped out at Diane’s place and spent 3 days in writing bliss.
3. My second book ‘The Cowboy and the Rose‘ was published by The Wild Rose Press! My publisher has been really supportive and a wonderful starting point to get my name out there. TWRP done wonderful stuff with my books so I’m really grateful for them.
3.a In February, I also went out on Submission for the first time with my agent! Fingers crossed the good news from that keeps rolling in during the new year!
4. I got a raise at work AND I was promoted to Director. I know it’s my day job and all, but I still feel like I’ve accomplished a lot in my career and the promotion was a tangible example of how far I’d come.
5. I attended the Liberty States Fiction Writer’s Conference with my friends Alyssa and Bob who are pursing their MFA degrees with me. They were so supportive when I gave my workshop on time management and goal development for writers at the conference.
6. In March I also self published my first book. I got the rights back to ‘The Bewitched Cowboy’ and after a cover change and renaming it to ‘A Cowboy’s Destiny,’ the book was up and ready to sell on Amazon and Barnes & Noble. Woohoo!
7. I think it was April when I went to my friend Charity’s beach condo. We ended up having such a productive writing weekend. Loved it!
8. I also went to Connecticut and chilled out at the nicest hotel ever with my friends Ginger and Diane for an awesome writing weekend. I really love that hotel. We had tons of laughs and got so much stuff done.
9. I turned 27 in May! I hadn’t dated in a while for personal reasons, but on the eve of my 27th birthday, I decided to take the plunge back into the dating world. It’s been…interesting. lol.
10. I also got to be a part of one of my best friend’s wedding. I was there for the bachelorette party in Atlantic City which I helped plan. I went to the Pakestani wedding and chilled with Mona in the hotel room where she had to stay before she was introduced to the groom. Then I went to the Iranian wedding where we danced all night overlooking the Atlantic Ocean. That was a ton of fun. Her wedding is a memory I will cherish for a really long time.
11. In May, I also hired Laura who I went to law school with. She has become one of my best friends hands down. I’m so happy to be working with someone who is so awesome.
12. In June I went to my second MFA residency (woot!) where I got to party with my cool writer people again.
13. I also went to Book Expo America where I chilled with R.L. Stein, James Patterson, and took pictures with Erotica cover models (*sigh*). That was a GREAT experience.
14. I went to Nora Robert’s bed and breakfast place Inn Boonsboro with my friends Ginger and Diane! We stayed in the Jane and Rochester suite and got to meet Lady Nora herself. Totally worth doing again.
15. In July, Laura and I went to Pittsburgh for a work conference. We networked and did our thing during the day, but we had such an awesome time after the conference was over. We went to the Phipps Conservatory (so incredibly beautiful), and we saw all the shops down by the waterfront. We even went to temple! It was really a fantastic trip.
16. August was hot, which meant shore time! I went down to my college roommate’s beach house where we hung out on the beach and by the pool and then went to Seaside Heights for some quality people watching time. It was such a great getaway.
17. September was pretty amazing because I got to spend Labor Day weekend with my family (and my sister turned 25!)
18. I also went Chick Camping with Diane and company. We went to a camp location near the shore and we had awesome food and even awesome company by the camp fire. During the day, Diane and I drove the a day workshop with Deb Dixon. It totally helped with my story plot line (thanks Deb!)
19. October was strange because of Hurricane Sandy. It was tough to see my friends in such a bad situation along the Jersey coast. The good news was that my family from India was able to stay with us, and because I couldn’t go into the office, I was able to spend time with my aunt, uncle, and cousin!
20. Thanks to my friend Becky, I was totally hooked up when it came to the Twilight premiere. I was able to snag an invite to a VIP party where I spent a few memorable hours saying goodbye to a 4 year relationship I had with the Twilight saga in the company of other dedicated fans. That was a really special night. 🙂
21. I also got to party with the fam during Thanksgiving! We had a really great Turkey vacation. No one fought, we all chipped in, and of all my cousins and I had a blast spending time together.
22. I had my annual “It’s Christmas, Charlie Brown!” Christmas Party at my apartment this year. It was awesome because I had friends from work and friends from college I hadn’t seen in FOREVER mingle at my place. Ali and Anna’s presence made me think of the good days we had back at Muhlenberg and they made the night so much more special.
23. My parents celebrated Christmas with ME this year. How crazy is that? All of five of us spent three days in my apartment. Not once did we fight. (totally nuts). I got awesome Christmas gifts too! My sister gave me a kick-ass Vera Bradly overnight bag, and I got suede boots, gift cards, and a crock pot. On Christmas Eve, my brother, sister and I had the best Chocolate Chip cookies at Jaques Torres in Manhattan. We also scoped out the tree and the cool windows on 5th.
It was seriously a GREAT year. Sometimes the annoying day-to-day stuff takes our focus away from the whole picture. Forest for the trees and all that. In addition to the highlights above, I had book club meetings at least once a month with really passionate readers. I took the train pretty regularly with my writer friend Charity which I have come to really look forward to. I had movie, dinner or lunch dates with Mona, Laura, Archana, Becky, and Diane. My family is happy and healthy and that’s what matters.
Thanks to everyone who made 2012 so special for me. Here’s to an even better 2013!!!